The Syria Campaign is seeking freelance writers and translators to join our roster!
The Syria Campaign is seeking Arabic-English speaking writers to support its small and creative team. We are looking for natural storytellers and linguists to help us shine a light on the human rights abuses taking place on a daily basis.
We are looking for freelancers with experience translating and copy writing for a translation roster, which we will call upon regularly (approximately four to six days per month) for creative projects. European and Middle Eastern time zones preferred.
The Syria Campaign is a small, fast-moving and powerful human rights organisation that has impact through stories, news and campaigns. We work to support Syria’s heroes in the struggle for freedom and democracy, partnering with civil society partners inside and outside the country.
The Syria Campaign works to keep Syria in the international spotlight to increase the cost of attacks on civilians, help build the power of civil society, advocate for a vision of real peace and justice and build international solidarity with the Syrian people.
We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work and making them famous around the world. We’ve supported the Families for Freedom, a women-led movement of the families of the disappeared in Syria, to ensure their demands are heard. We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them.
We have to fight hard to make sure the issues that matter to us and our partners get the focus and support they need. We refuse to let Syria disappear from the attention of the world, and we will work until we see justice served.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Turning stories and testimonies into compelling copy for social media and traditional media.
- Translating Arabic into written English and English to Arabic to a high standard
- Work with The Syria Campaign team to write powerful stories and profiles about our partners
- Fluent in Arabic and English
- Translation experience with an international organization
- Experience working with Syrian civil society or human rights activists
- Ability to tell a strong story and edit compelling copy
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-risk, challenging contexts
- Commitment to a free and democratic future for Syria and human rights
- Proven ability to work on a remote and global team
- Experience working on video and creative content is an advantage
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.
To apply to be a part of our roster, please send a CV to [email protected] Please put ‘Writer’ or ‘Translator’ in the email subject line.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. We will be conducting a first review of applications on 12 April 2021, and encourage all applicants to apply by then.