The Syria Campaign is Recruiting a Senior Press Officer
This position has now been filled. If you would like to be considered for any future vacancies, we’d love to receive your CV at [email protected]
We are looking for an ambitious and passionate press officer who can help transform what the UN calls “the greatest humanitarian emergency of our era”.
The Syria Campaign is a small but influential organisation mobilising key audiences around the world to advocate for whatever is needed to save lives in Syria.
We work in two ways:
1. Creating communication materials – e.g. reports, infographics, videos – that have the ability to cut through the complexity of the conflict and shift the narrative on Syria
2. Running large-scale campaigns that elevate the voices of Syrians and deliver concrete impact on the ground
The Press Officer position is a key role in our team and will be at the heart of driving media coverage for our communication and advocacy campaigns. We are looking for someone who has the ability to think creatively, tell good stories and can get the work we do to millions.
You don’t need to be an expert on Syria or speak Arabic — this role is paired with a Syrian communications officer who will provide the language, background and access you need.
You do need to be passionate about working on one of the biggest news stories in the world and using that media attention to save lives.
We are fiercely independent and refuse funding from any party to the conflict in Syria so we can stay true to our mission: to protect civilians.
- Develop a media strategy for The Syria Campaign that positions TSC as a leading advocacy organisation
- Develop and deliver traditional and online media strategies for communication products and campaigns that can reach media around the world. We want someone who can land pieces in the US, UK and European markets in the same week.
- Monitoring Syrian events and identifying opportunities for strong campaigns
- We need someone who is absolutely determined to get Syrian voices heard — who can spot media opportunities by the hour and make things happen
- Produce a range of media products including: press releases, op-eds, short reports, talking points, internal and external facing FAQs and organise media briefings and press conferences
- Providing guidance and ideas for campaign concepts, messages and strategy
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with print, broadcast, online journalists, editors in order to encourage them to see TSC as a leading voice on Syria
- Acting as a spokesperson for the organisation
- Develop, maintain and continuously update a database of media contacts across print, radio, TV and online content sites
Management and training
- Managing a Syrian communications officer who will support on story gathering and relationships inside Syria
- Providing media training to partners of TSC as required
This is a challenging role that requires hard work, flexibility, good judgment, initiative and an ability to deliver results. The core competencies which any successful candidate will display are:
- High-quality written and verbal English
- At least two years experience in a similar role
- Professionalism, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines
- Understanding of how civic advocacy and public campaigning function
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure
- Strong strategic thinking and campaign planning skills
- Creativity for campaign tactics and strategies
- Understanding of and relationships with online content and news sites (e.g. Upworthy, Mashable, Buzzfeed etc.) [strongly desirable]
- Experience in media and PR around large-scale innovative projects [strongly desirable]
The ideal candidate can be based anywhere in the world but we have a preference for someone based in London or New York.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Full-time, fixed term contract for six months although we expect this to turn into a permanent role. Salary in line with experience.
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter [email protected] This is a new position that we are seeking to fill as quickly as possible. The post will remain open until filled.