The Syria Campaign is seeking a Head of Finance and Operations
We are recruiting for short-term coverage for the Head of Finance, Operations and People during a parental leave from March 2021 – September 2021.
The role is at the heart of ensuring the smooth running of our small, global campaigning organisation. We’re looking for someone who gets excited about making things happen; has an eye for detail, a head for numbers and heart for human rights.
This is a part-time position at 60% time and can be done from either the UK or the US (in Central or Eastern time).
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.
The Syria Campaign is a small, fast moving and powerful human rights organisation that is building new ways for digital and creative communications to have impact. We work to support Syria’s heroes in the struggle for freedom and democracy, justice and accountability, and civilian safety, partnering with civil society partners inside and outside the country. We’ve moved beyond the limitations of an “online movement builder” or traditional NGO, fusing the best elements of think tanks, creative agencies and digital mobilisation to shift the narrative on Syria. Our small team is based across the United States, Morocco, the UK, Canada and Germany.
The position leads the Finances for the organization, tracking cash flow, budget, forecasting, reviewing monthly finance reports, developing budgets for new proposals, financial reporting for current grants, and reporting to the Board quarterly. The position manages the Finances and Operations Associate and external Bookkeeper and should be able to advise on operational workstreams.
- Monitor financial performance and prepare monthly financial accounts.
- Manage the 2020 budget and cash flow, update the leadership team and program team monthly on spending and income.
- Produce quarterly financial reports for the Board.
- Oversee systems for day-to-day financial transactions including invoicing, payments, payroll, and bank reconciliation as carried out by the Finance and Operations Associate and Bookkeeper.
- Work closely with the programmes in managing the fiscal side of grants, including developing budgets for grant proposals and monitoring and reporting for existing grants.
- Line manage the Finance and Operations Associate and external bookkeeper.
- Manage the 2020 Audit for The Syria Campaign’s UK and US entities.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and requirements for legal entities of TSC (US, UK and German).
- Liaise with outside counsel for any legal matters that arise.
- Advise on recruitment as needed, providing budgets for positions in line with the salary scale and budget.
- Work with the leadership team and Finance and Operations Associate to plan and deliver in-person or remote staff retreat.
- Renew organizational insurance as needed.
- Address other operational issues as they arise.
- 7-10 years experience working in non-profit finance or operations, with a minimum of 3 years experience leading Finance for a small or medium sized non-profit.
- Experience and knowledge of financial principles and standards in the US and/or the UK.
- Track record developing budgets for proposals and reporting on spending to Foundations and other donors.
- Knowledge of Xero or similar accounting software.
- Ability to work remotely on a diverse, distributed team.
- A commitment to and passion for equity, justice, and human rights.
The Syria Campaign is committed to making sure everyone on the team is happy, productive and motivated. Here’s how we do that:
Salary is competitive and in line with international organisations.
The job can be done from the US (Central or Eastern time) or the UK. We will provide you with a space in a co-working office wherever you are based. We have full staff retreats every year to keep us connected.
We give 25 days of leave a year (pro-rated), public holidays and discretionary break over the end of year holidays. We offer family friendly parental leave policies.
To apply for this role, please send a CV to [email protected] with a cover letter describing why you’re the ideal candidate. Please put ‘Head of Finance and Operations’ in the email subject line.
Application Deadline: (Update – 01/25) We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. We are currently interviewing candidates so if you’re interested in applying, please submit your application so you may be considered for the role.