The Syria Campaign is building a roster of Freelance Designers
We are looking to add smart, strategic, and creative freelancers who excel at visual design to add to our roster. Your work will catalyze the impact of campaigns, advocacy, and digital mobilisation for The Syria Campaign.
Designers will use their skills to execute creative interventions to support Syria’s heroic civil society. They will be responsible for delivering graphic content that advances The Syria Campaign’s goals and mission.
Designers on the roster will be contacted on an ad hoc basis to check their availability for specific projects. Projects will be remote and can be done anywhere and assigned on an ad hoc basis.
The Syria Campaign
The Syria Campaign is a small, fast moving, and powerful human rights organisation that is building new ways for digital and creative communications to have impact. We work to support Syria’s heroes in the struggle for freedom and democracy, partnering with civil society actors inside and outside the country. We’ve moved beyond the limitations of an “online movement builder” or traditional NGO, fusing the best elements of think tanks, creative agencies, and digital mobilisation to shift the narrative on Syria.
We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work and making them famous around the world. We’ve supported the Families for Freedom, a women-led movement of the families of the disappeared in Syria, to ensure their demands are heard. We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them. You can read about some of what we’ve done here, here and here.
Freelance projects may involve:
- Executing design and production of print and digital materials consistent with program objectives, brand guidelines and budgetary constraints and based on briefs prepared by The Syria Campaign
- Coordinate all aspects of a design project including working directly with the department lead, scheduling and planning, design and production
- Projects will often be developed and completed on a very tight timeframe. Priority will be given to designers able to respond quickly to project briefs.
Freelancers will be expected to:
- Demonstrate the ability to conceptualize and execute compelling creative storytelling across all digital assets keeping the user’s journey in mind at all times (from initial concept through final design execution) – this includes but is not limited to emails, site assets, landing pages and retargeting banners
- Spark fresh ideas that are infused in our culture and mission
- Be able to self-start and work quickly under time and other constraints
- Ensure the level of excellence in all creative work designed and executed, this includes supervision of retouching to ensure consistency and cohesiveness
- Proven proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite – InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects and Photoshop; or equivalent design programmes.
- Put together disparate elements of a design created by another professional, such as icons, photographs and other components necessary for a website or campaign design
- A proven track record of excellence within advocacy, storytelling, digital mobilisation, or content creation
- Commitment to a free and democratic future for Syria, and global justice and human rights more broadly
- High quality written and verbal Arabic [desirable]
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.
To apply to be a part of our roster, please send a CV, portfolio of work, and quotes/rates to [email protected] Please put ‘Designer’ in the email subject line.