The Operations Associate will be at the heart of ensuring the smooth running of an impactful global human rights organisation. We’re looking for someone who gets excited about making things happen has an eye for detail, a head for people operations and a heart for human rights and Syria.
This is a full time position. It can be done remotely, with European and Middle Eastern Time zones preferred.
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.
Application Deadline: 20 July 2022
he Syria Campaign is a small, fast-moving and powerful human rights organisation that has impact through stories, news and campaigns. We work to support Syria’s human rights activists in the struggle for freedom, justice and democracy, partnering with civil society groups inside and outside the country.
Eleven years since the Syrian people took to the streets to demand freedom and democracy, there are still millions of civilians at risk of military attacks, hundreds of thousands of people remain illegally detained and disappeared, and there has been no accountability for the victims and survivors. The Syria Campaign works to keep Syria in the international spotlight to increase the cost of attacks on civilians, help build the power of civil society, advocate for a vision of real peace and justice and build international solidarity with the Syrian people.
We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work and making them famous around the world. We’ve supported the Families for Freedom, a women-led movement of the families of the disappeared in Syria, to ensure their demands are heard. We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them.
We are looking for an organized project manager to support on finance, people operations and organizational operations. This is a great opportunity for someone with a background in people operations, project management, finance or organizational operations to influence a small organization’s efficiency, processes and ways of working. This is a junior position that offers pathways for professional growth and project ownership in a small, but complex operational environment.
What you’ll be responsible for
The role reports to the Head of Operations, People and Finance. Specific responsibilities include:
Operations and Organisational Management
- Implement new procedures as needed and improve our suite of operational tools.
- Work with the campaign team to make things happen, from advocacy tours for Syrian partners to real world events and actions.
- Manage digital security policy and protocols.
- Provide support to the The Syria Campaign board as needed.
- Manage virtual organisational knowledge and filing systems.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local requirements in the US and UK, through research and awareness of existing, new, or anticipated legislation.
- Support the TSC team as needed.
- Manage recruitment resources and support hiring managers in the recruitment process.
- Lead on logistics and participate in agenda creation for annual staff retreats.
- Contact point for staff on questions related to finance, benefits, travel and staff welfare.
- Manage onboarding process for new staff members and contractors.
- Work with Head of Operations, Finance and People to revamp and implement new policies and processes, ensuring equity and care is at the center of decision making.
- Contribute ideas and best practices for remote working practices.
- Actively contribute to the development of a happy and productive work culture.
- Manage payroll across 4 countries.
- Manage bi-monthly payments
- Work closely with the Finance and Compliance Officer and Bookkeeper.
A successful candidate will have:
- A track record of developing project ideas and concept notes, ideally for a human rights organisation (minimum 3-5 years in a similar role)
- A track record of successful funding applications, ideally to human rights funders
- Experience reporting to donors, including trusts and foundations. Experience reporting to larger institutional donors is desirable but not essential. Experience fundraising from US-based foundations is also desirable
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail
- Excellent writer, with a track record of donor proposal and report writing
- Experience working with civil society partner organisations, including for developing concept notes or project ideas
- Experience in developing project budgets (desirable)
- Strong spoken and written English
- Strong spoken and written Arabic (desirable)
- Commitment to a free and democratic future for Syria and human rights
- Proven ability to work on a remote and global team
The Syria Campaign is committed to making sure everyone on the team is happy, productive and motivated. Here’s how we do that:
Salary is competitive and in line with international organisations.
The job is remote. We are primarily seeking candidates from European or Middle Eastern time zones. We have team members in Germany, the US, the UK, Morocco and Canada and provide you with a space in a co-working office wherever you are based. We have full staff retreats every year to keep us connected.
We provide budget, time and support for your professional development.
We give 25 days of leave a year, public holidays and discretionary break over the end of year holidays. We offer family friendly parental leave policies.
To apply for this role, please send a CV to [email protected] with a cover letter describing why you’re the ideal candidate. Please put ‘Operations Associate’ in the email subject line.