Accounting Associate (Consultant Contract, 20 hours a week)
Do you love crunching numbers? Are you relieved when the debits equal the credits? Would you like to work for a small, fast moving and powerful human rights organization that has impact through stories, news and campaigns? If you’ve answered yes, this role could be a great fit! Scroll down to learn more…
The Syria Campaign is recruiting an Accounting Associate to join its small and creative team. This is a consultant contract for 20 hours a week. It can be done remotely, with European and Middle Eastern Time zones preferred.
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.
Application Deadline: 20 July 2022
The Syria Campaign is a small, fast moving and powerful human rights organisation that has impact through stories, news and campaigns. We work to support Syria’s heroes in the struggle for freedom and democracy, partnering with civil society partners inside and outside the country.
The Syria Campaign works to keep Syria in the international spotlight to increase the cost of attacks on civilians, help build the power of civil society, advocate for a vision of real peace and justice and build international solidarity with the Syrian people.
What you’ll be responsible for
Reporting to the Finance and Compliance Officer, the Accounting Associate (AA) will be responsible for maintaining accurate , timely and audit proof financial and accounting records for The Syria Campaign.
The Syria Campaign consists of two entities, a 501(c)3 Non-profit in the U.S and a Limited Company by guarantee, Non-profit company in the UK, each entity has its own separate accounts. We currently operate with two data files “Subscriptions” of QuickBooks Online.
The responsibilities include, timely booking of all income and expenses, monthly reconciliations of all bank, cash and credit card accounts on hand, timely booking of payables and receivables. The AA will also oversee asset management and depreciation schedules, grant and project accounting.
Success comes from acting as a business partner as well , you will be partnering with program team members, communication as well as impact and development to better coordinate and integrate cross-functional efforts.
Bookkeeping and accounting records (90% of LOE)
- Maintain all general ledger and subsidiary ledger, recording and posting journal entries, this includes income, expenses, cash, bank, credit card, as well as accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue releases, and payroll accounts, ensuring all posts are accurate and recorded on a timely basis.
- Support in monthly closing processes, including but not limited to cash and bank reconciliations, revenue recognition, adjusting entries, and general ledger reconciliations.
- Reconcile accounts payable and accounts receivable on a monthly basis.
- Produce monthly and quarterly financial statements (Statement of Activities, Statement of Financial Position) and send them out for review.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for all project and operational documentation including income, costs, and grant budgets.
Audit and compliance (10% of LOE)
- Support in preparing all documentations for the annual audits of The Syria Campaign and specific grant audit activities.
- Ensure all financial transactions are audit proof and conducted in compliance with donor rules & regulations.
- Perform monthly back-ups for the QuickBooks data files.
Indicators that this could be a good role for you:
- You have an intensive bookkeeping experience and you can handle debits and credits in your sleep!
- An excellent communicator both online and in-person and everything in between.
- Able to work independently and are entrepreneurial by nature.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and proactive. You think about every little issue before it comes up, and you’re always planning ahead.
Bonus points if you
- Have good working knowledge of QuickBooks Online, Expensify and ApprovalMax.
- Worked in a remote group structure before.
- Familiarity with U.S nonprofit accounting standards.
- You are based anywhere between UTC and UTC+3 time zone
How our recruitment process works
- Submit your application. It includes your resume and a cover letter.
- We review your application based on skills and experience.
- First Interview
- We’ll ask you to complete a test project.
- Final interview
How to apply
Interested? Please send a CV with a cover letter to [email protected] describing why you’re the ideal candidate and why you would want to work with the Syria Campaign, please put “Accounting Associate”’ in the email subject line.
We are looking to fill in this position ASAP and will review all applications on a rolling basis.
Application deadline is July 20,2022.